The SIFT method is arguable the best method when looking into new information; using this method can drastically lower your chances of taking in misinformation.
SIFT method by Mike Caulfield
- Investigate the source
- Find better coverage
- Trace claims, quotes, and media to the original context
- Stop, make sure you stop and think about the source.
- Investigate the source, look into if it appears credible, make sure it has reliable information.
- Look for other sources that confirm or reject the claim; make sure that this is the best postable source.
- Look into the citations. Use citation indexing, make sure everything checks out, and that this is a reliable quality source.